How Common is Intersex Status?

http://intersexroadshow.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/how-common-is-intersex-status.html
Furthermore, many people are intersex without it being genitally obvious. Some people are chromosomally sex-variant: they have a genotype such as XYY or XXY that is not associated with a significant disability, or they are XY women or XX men. Such people may never find out that they are intersex—after all, have you ever had your sex chromosomes screened?

In a nutshell, there is no realistic way to test or observe all of someone’s sexual characteristics. Therefore, sex also, is a construct, just as gender is. And yet, here we are living within another male/female binary ..

.. We have got to stop pigeon-holing people based on what we think we know about their genitals. It’s disgusting.

And I can’t stand the casual erasure of intersex people by using terms such as “genetic female”, “natale female”. And this is so widespread within the trans community. Like, how do you know you aren’t already a ‘genetic female’? Or me?

And this is why I don’t personally use the word transsexual. 1. I don’t believe you can change your sex, just some aspects of it through surgery and HRT. 2. I don’t know very much about my own sex, I only have superficial information. So I’m not going to try and pin it down to changing one thing to another. 3. Being trans isn’t just about my body, it’s about my mind, my soul. Making it about my body is simplifying an incredibly complex thing. I prefer the word transgender.

Final sidenote for trans people in the UK. The NHS is not required to fund medical transition of intersex people. Obviously, this is a huge grey area. So far, I have been asked, not examined – if my genitals are ‘normal’ in comparison to a cis man. As far as I know, I’m not intersex and it’s enough to get referred for HRT. Although different GICs operate differently it seems. So please consider the potential risks in identifying yourself as intersex to them. Of course it may also be highly beneficial for you to do this in order to receive more appropriate help. Either way is a risk.